If you’ve grown up in Indiana, the month of May more than likely generates memories of the Indianapolis 500. Whether you’ve gone to the race for years or never been, whether you’ve watched it on TV or only listened on the radio, whether you’ve had family gatherings in celebration or if you take friendly bets on the winner… I can almost guarantee you have at least one Indy 500 memory.
This will be my first May at Bona Vista Programs. And, luckily, I knew going in to the job that May is a big month around here as well. It seems like I say that every month, right? Now you’re catching on. However, if you’ve never experienced Soupley’s Wine & Spirits Greatest Spectacle in Tasting event, then I’m not sure you’ve fully experienced Indiana in May. Let me just say that the Greatest Spectacle in Racing isn’t the only game in town, folks.
This year marks the 23rd annual for the event, which features hundreds of fine wines and microbrews, samples of food from around the area, silent auction items in abundance and live music. If you’ve never been or you just turned 21 and this is your first chance to go, let me tell you a little about how the evening works.
- Grab some friends or family, save the date (May 20), get a babysitter (if applicable) and find a designated driver. You could even buy your designated driver a ticket, if you’re feeling generous, for their sacrifice… although there will be plenty for them to drink that night as well – Coca-Cola, smoothies, juices, coffee, water, etc.
- Purchase your tickets in advance (bonavista.org or any Soupley’s or Bona Vista location) – this will save you $10 per ticket at the door and precious time standing in line.
- Show up to Bona Vista, 1220 E. Laguna St., on Saturday, May 20 at 6p with your ID in hand – Disclaimer: Must be 21 years of age to attend. And, yes, we check all IDs. So, don’t be offended if we don’t take your gray hair as a sign you’re 21… we are going to check anyway. Consider it a compliment!
- Get a program booklet from one of our friendly volunteers, and develop your strategy.
- Not a planner? That’s ok. Grab a booklet just in case you find a beverage you like, and want to make a note so you don’t forget (and so you can purchase them later at Soupley’s). Want to wing it? Skip step 6.
- With three tents of beverages, food and silent auction items it would be easy to get overwhelmed… don’t! Inside your program booklet, we list every restaurant and vendor inside the tents. Pro tip: Don’t start at Booth 1 (but be sure not to miss it, either). Start at the back and work your way up. If everyone starts at Booth 1, it gets backed up – and, again, precious time.
- As you look through your program, you’ll also notice the listing of all of the silent auction items up for bid. There will be hundreds, so there will definitely be something for you. That means, you need to stop by the Silent Auction Bid Sign-In table. There, volunteers will get your information and give you a number. Pro tip: Remember this number. If you forget it, and you write down someone else’s number… you won’t be going home with your items. That will make for a sad evening, and we are all about happiness!
- So, head out on your way. Be sure to drink responsibly (so you remember the evening and can tell any of your friends who didn’t come all about it for next year). Even though you have a designated driver (See Step 1), they don’t want a mess in their car, so pace yourself. Be sure to try all of the new releases, though (and, again, make note so you can pick them up the Monday after the event at Soupley’s)!
- Bid on silent auction items during the night, and be sure to check on them a few times (and always make sure you’re using the right number). People will out bid you, so you’ll need to keep an eye on your items. You won’t want someone else getting them… trust me!
- At the end of the evening, when you’ve won a few silent auction items and have eaten as much as you can handle, you’ll get in your designated driver’s vehicle (or call a cab) and drive away slowly into the sunset.
I think that just about does it. Now, in the weeks leading up to the event I’ll tell you all about the amazing restaurants and what tasty items they will be bringing, the band that will be performing, the beverages you’ll have the opportunity to sample, the quality silent auction items… even down to the decorations! Oh, and some of these you may see on our social media first! So make sure you follow us on Facebook (Bonavista Programs), Twitter (@BonaVista_) & Instagram (@bonavistaprograms)!
Reminder: Get your tickets in advance at any Soupley’s Wine & Spirits location, any Bona Vista Programs location or online at bonavista.org!
Until next time… keep a good view on life!